Two Staff Members Injured in Flash Fire at Camp Heritage
On the evening of Sunday, July 17, an unfortunate incident occurred at Camp Heritage. There was a small flash fire in our primary laundry room, and two of our staff members were injured. The staff members were taken by ambulance to the Emergency Department at Lake Regional Hospital. They were treated for first- and second-degree burns and were released from the hospital that night. In the course of continuing care, one of the staff members has since been hospitalized. The other staff member continues to receive outpatient follow-up care. We would appreciate your prayers for a complete and speedy recovery. The fire marshal has determined that the fire was accidental. There was a propane leak in a hot water heater located in the laundry room. He surmised that when our staff member opened a hot dryer, the released heat caused the propane to combust, resulting in a small flash fire. The safety of our campers and staff is of the utmost importance to us. We have taken steps to prevent this from happening in the future. The hot water heater has been replaced, and the new one has been inspected and approved by the proper authorities. While this was a serious incident, we are thankful that it was not much worse. Please pray for God’s continued protection of Camp Heritage and for the healing of our precious staff members.